Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Natural Enchantment

The most thrilling/enchanting experience I've ever had with nature would probably be star-gazing outside my friend's cabin in the woods. There was supposed to be a meteor shower one night, so my friends and I trekked through the woods to a clearing where we all lied in the grass to enjoy the free show. The most "thrilling" part of that experience (or terrifying in my opinion) was when we saw two pairs of glowing eyes watching us from the wood-line. Of course I demanded we go back to the cabin, but I was forced to sit there, surrounded by the black wilderness. Bordering on panic, I didn't know what would be worse...sitting up to get a better view of our surroundings, or lying as flat as possible and praying I didn't get mauled by a bear. Either way, I have never felt so small, or so utterly out of control of a situation. Moments like that really make me realize how minuscule our own lives are in relation to the world that surrounds us.
For that reason alone I think that preserving nature is vital in maintaining a balance, not only for our earth's natural systems, but also for providing perspective in our lives. We should absolutely concern ourselves with the preservation of nature because we are a part of nature and we do not have the right to destroy it. We have the capabilities to preserve the environment, therefore we hold a responsibility to do so to the best of our ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment