Thursday, October 1, 2009

Convenient, Cheap, Necessary?

It really sucks eating food on campus, or anywhere away from home for me. At home it’s convenient because my mom I like to believe enjoys feeding me with quality food that is mixed with a healthy balance of carbs, protein, and vegetables, topping it off with lentil soup mixed in. I don’t have to think about what I’m eating; only that it is good and that the few times I stop to appreciate my bites and think about it, my eyes water with joy.
Here, it’s convenient to use a meal swipe ($11.00) to eat chicken tenders (yum, more bread than chicken) with barbeque sauce. I don’t have to think about it, and when I do, my throat gets a sick feeling from realizing that food sucks, or at least here.
Since high school I’ve made the conscience decision to eat much healthier than the cheese fries I used to eat for a whole semester Freshman year. I usually go vegetarian every Thursday, refuse to eat fries, eat much less red meat and force myself to eat salad (even those dreaded tomatoes). I do it because of health rather than the environment because my supposed Id takes over the Superego and I care to keep myself fit subconsciously a bit more than check where each ingredient from each food product I choose to eye comes from. I understand that need to eat locally, and I wholly support that, but as far as I’m concerned, businesses haven’t really cared to provide that option, and as a result, I eat what’s convenient.
I’ll drink things that sound healthy, for example, I drank that pomegranate juice from Odwalla because it seemed nutritious and healthy. Plus the thought of juice, not soda, makes me thirsty, so I indulged. I’m sure those organic cranberries came from fruit thousands of miles away, because they certainly don’t grow them in DC. As for that Slim Fast, there are so many chemicals in that I’m guessing it was made from all over the world. But to me, it was healthy because it had protein, calcium, and the energy I needed from dance and martial arts.
That one Slim Fast alone probably travelled thousands of miles in gas, was on lands drenches with pounds upon pounds of pesticides, which in turn probably leached into some river, and injected with so many preservatives that I would shudder to think of the impact, but I drank it because it was convenient, cheap, and healthy for my body.
I’m an active member of AU society, I dance 9 hours a week, 3 hours of martial arts, 4 hours of desk duty, a lot of RA work, President of the MSA, and a student foremost, so does that give me the right to want convenient goods for a price I can afford so I don’t collapse from lack of nutrition? But my foot print is high, so what am I supposed to do? Again this brings more questions to me than answers.

1 comment:

  1. The last part of your post seems to beg the question: Do people today take on too much? If we lived life at a slower pace, would we have the time to rest more often and even cook our own meals?

    ReplyDelete