Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Thanksgiving Awkwardness

For this Thanksgiving I went to visit my extended family on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I stayed with my extremely conservative grandmother. Half of my family is republican while the other half is democrat - my parents and their siblings are more moderate. So when Prof. Nicholson gave us this assignment I thought a lot about how or if I should even bring up global warming or climate change. I asked my parents about it and they both seemed to think that since I dont see this side of my family often, I probably should not bring up a topic that would spark such intense emotions. So I decided to talk with my 17 year old cousin.
We were watching a basketball game on tv and this commercial for 76 gasoline kept coming on. The commercial was talking about how their gas is somehow better than normal gas and is more environmentally friendly. I started talking to her about the misconception of cleaner fuel and how if we really want to effectively address climate change problems we need more structural changes to our society. She was agreeing with me and really recognized the falsity of the commercial and the kinds of consumerist behaviors that it reinforced.

No comments:

Post a Comment