Friday, December 4, 2009

Constructive Change?

From doing this exercise over Thanksgiving I saw the importance of not feeling like you have to convince everyone. I tried to keep in mind what Mike Maniates said in our video conference about how there are already enough people who believe in climate change and are concerned with it. We do not need to spend our time and resources educating people who do not seem to get it or do not want to accept what changes need to be made. This realization was especially important for me because had I tried to convince my grandmother or my great aunts and uncles then I think I would have had a completely miserable Thanksgiving.
It was very helpful to structure the talk I had with my cousin around the commercial. It was such blatant evidence of how the fuel companies are trying to manipulate scientific facts to maintain their consumer base in light of the recent environmental movement.
I concluded that its best to communicate with people about climate change in a calm way, using examples around you rather than trying to bring in abstract examples to illustrate a point. People do not respond well they feel targeted or accused of something so speaking in a general sense is also helpful. However, all these things help to facilitate conversations about what change needs to happen, its something quite different to cause actual change. I think to cause constructive change in our society the environmental movement needs to just bypass people like my grandmother and inject change right into the system with industry reform and clean energy alternatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment