Friday, September 25, 2009

The Future of Society

When I imagine Washington D.C. 200 years from now, I picture skyscrapers encroaching upon the downtown area with the occasional small tree decorating sidewalks. Aside from these strategically placed, aesthetically pleasing trees, I don't anticipate much foliage in and around town (specifically the trees and wildlife in Rock Creek Park). I believe that the transportation system, as well as housing structures will engulf most of the space that is currently occupied by forests.

I'm feeling optimistic today, so I could foresee these new buildings and structures having green rooftops and utilizing sustainable energy sources. People and companies today seem to be assuming more responsibility for the state of our air quality and other aspects of our environment.

However, it would not be ideal to replace our current forests and natural environments with buildings and transportation systems. I think it would be in our best interest to preserve the trees and ecosystems that we have today. The trees surrounding Rock Creek Pkwy and the GW Pkwy should be preserved by any means possible.

Because I think that locals and legislators in the Washington area take the environment into consideration when considering new development projects, I believe that a sustainable future may be easier to obtain than we may think. There will always be people advocating for the preservation of natural systems and it will be important that these people remain vigilant in voicing their opinions.

Unfortunately, if we begin to disregard the advocates for environmental sustainability, we may reach a catastrophic end to our city.

No comments:

Post a Comment